Saturday, December 4, 2010

Noted: Alcohol and Acid Reflux are NOT Friends

I rarely drink.  In fact, I can count on one hand the number of drinks I have had this year.  I don't need alcohol to have a good time and I don't want to use it to release stress.  (Bad habit to start.)

Tonight however was the company Christmas party and I couldn't resist.  Just a chance to loosen up a little with my friends.  I had a rather weak, but tasty cranberry and vodka for cocktail hour and then during dinner half a glass of wine.  Finally, after dessert, we convened to watch the band play and I had a Bailey's and coffee.  Spaced out over 3 hours, not too bad.  Afterward I switched to water and regular coffee.

But, as time passed, I started to have weird pains in my chest and didn't feel well.  It took me a few minutes and then I remembered - if I drink more than one alcoholic beverage, my acid reflux rebels.  And it sure did.  What happens is that the acid overwhelms the stomach and basically starts jumping up the throat.  That causes the esophagus to spasm and press against the heart, sometimes causing pain - it can even mimic a heart attack.

Since I needed to come to work anyway, I left the party.  I came back here and took an antacid and drank some more water - all better.  So, the moral of the story is, I will go back to my non-alcoholic drinks and be perfectly content - and without pain.  :)

Yours in Health,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment