Monday, March 26, 2007

The mp3 Debate

I know I workout better with music. Magazine articles are proliferating about the advantages of doing so and how you can increase your time and intensity with the right tunes. So, as I squirm my way back toward the gym, music, I believe, is a necessity. However, that's where I am stumped.

I worked out for 6 months pretty faithfully, 3-5 days a week and used my portable CD player to keep me company. But it was big and clunky and had some rather serious downsides - playing CDs burned up batteries like they were tinder; if I got too intense the CD would skip; you can't use it when weight lifting because it will inevitably fall to the floor. Which as it happened was the fate of the player, it took dozens of bad bounces of the weight machines and treadmill and the CD player died and I can't really blame it.

So I switched to using the radio part, which was o.k., but the gym I go to causes major interference with reception and I was constantly switching channels to try to keep the music tempo up. Then the electric blue trooper finally bit the dust in what was a truly uncoordinated moment, involving me trying to retrieve my towel that had fallen, without stopping the treadmill. Now I am without accompaniment.

Well, that was December, about the same time my will to get off my fat little behind slowly disintegrated. Now, having been to the gym only a hand full of times since and desiring to meet a major goal before August, I have to get moving again. I have convinced myself that an mp3 player is a serious part of the solution. Now which one?

I have been researching for a while. The biggest problem is the financial end of things, I can spend about $100, not a lot. That needs to include an armband to keep the precious little thing in place so that it doesn't meet the same fate as big blue.

I plan to dive in and make a decision this week, as my tax return is due back. Now, what will it be? Apple, Creative, Sony and on and on. A recent search showed over 200 options, so you can see where I am in a quandary. But I will persevere. :)

Speaking of which, I should take a few minutes and do that now. Wow, putting off procrastination? Maybe there is progress happening besides my thighs.

Best always, Ms_H
Weight - 194 (Yes, I lost another pound.)

No comments:

Post a Comment