Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Get in the Holiday Spirit, damn it!

I have had a month long roller-coaster ride. Today, one of the worst things yet, my general manager announced he is leaving in mid-January. He is one of the best bosses I have ever had and is the reason I got back into radio. He makes work fun. He has also had my back all along the way. I do not know how I will fare without him. Or how are group will fare. He resigned after a budget squabble with our corporation. I am convinced the move was his way of loosening the budget a little and possibly saving jobs. This absolutely sucks one week before Christmas.

So, when I ran across one of those surveys regarding Christmas on Annette's Blog, I decided it was time to sip some egg nog and get merry, damn it. Here goes...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Depends on how much time I have. I prefer to wrap, but frequently fall into the 'bag it' category.

2. Real tree or Artificial?
Real this year for the first time since 1996. I have been living in apartments or too poor for a tree. Plus, with three cats, there was great fear of tree climbing becoming the sport of choice. Alas, they are almost uninterested. Which is good, but startling.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Just after Thanksgiving is preferable. But we had to wait for the funds to free up, so we got it last week. (Thank you Gordon for the truck.)

4. When do you take the tree down?
After New Year's day.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Yes. AE egg nog. Honestly I have never had any other kind and have never had rum in it, so maybe I wouldn't like the real thing. But AE is like creamy melted ice cream.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
My record player. I was 6 and it was real. That was the Christmas I had confirmed for me that Santa was real. I didn't even tell my parents I wanted the record player, but there it was under the tree! After Christmas Mom took me out and I bought an Elvis single with my own Christmas money.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
My Dad. I love him so much and he's given me so much. I always want that gift that really gets a reaction. I rarely find it.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
Lori. If it is geeky or foodie, I am safe.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
No.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
When I have the money and time, mail. This year, e-mail. (My deepest apologies to the postal workers.)

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Three years running people in my extended family got me sweaters that were size large. I was XXL at the time.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Christmas Vacation, The Preacher's Wife (Cary Grant version of course), White Christmas, Holiday Inn - oh wait, I was only supposed to give one.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
When I have the money. Read that as - this weekend.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Not technically. It wasn't regifted, it was just given to the person and they knew it had been a gift for me.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Oh goodness, where to start? Grandma's oyster stuffing, Mom's soup, Lori's cookies, anything decorated by Caelen. I will eat anything, but as you can see, I prefer the things made with love.

16. Lights on the tree?
As many as I can have without causing a fire.

17. Favorite Christmas Song?
To hear sung well? Silent Night. For sexy Santa fun? Baby it's Cold Outside.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Always home within the bounds of the Des Moines metro. In fact, this year Christmas is at my new home. (We'll see how I feel about that brilliant offer on the 26th.)

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen on Comet on Cupid on Donner and Blitzen. (Yes, I always sing in my head to get those.) And of course Rudolph. Though I hesitate on the latter because he wasn't unearthed until the 1930's.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star. The tree is mostly Star Wars, so it was a must.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
I like to wait as long as possible. But with multiple family Christmases, I have to bend somewhat.

22. Holiday-wear, yea or nay?
I have a couple of pairs of socks. I am going to buy another pair this weekend, but that's it. My only real seasonal wear is actually able to be worn all winter - a nice bright red sweater.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
Well, after several years of collecting and waiting, we finally got to put up our Star Wars tree this year. Only one tiny snag, a box of ornaments is missing, so we had to go buy some balls. Oh well, it looks nice.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
If I had my druthers it would be pizza or soup and sandwiches. I would rather hang out with my family than stress over not burning the bird. That being said, I am lining up turkey, etc. for December 25.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
The same thing I always want - world peace. But as we all know, Santa can't fit it in the sleigh or we would have it by now.

Holiday cheers, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment