Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Ubiquitous Kate Garner

I am punch drunk. After several days, hell weeks, of being everywhere all the time, I am crisp like microwave bacon. Then about half an hour ago, while finishing up a project at work, I accidentally nicknamed myself.

I love my vocabulary, despite the fact that people make fun of me for it. I like big words, knowing their meaning and when to use them. But you know that you've gone beyond tired when the first thing that pops into your head when someone says, 'gee you're everywhere', is ubiquitous.

To quote directly from Webster's dictionary - UbiquitousU*biq"ui*tous\, a. [See Ubiquity.] Existing or being everywhere, or in all places, at the same time; omnipresent. -- U*biq"ui*tous*ly, adv.

Sadly, I can't even deny it and be all 'no, it just seems that way'. I really am and it's starting to wear thin.

I do not want to complain, I am happy to have my job. Most days I enjoy my job. And even on days like, well I was going to say today, but I will have to be clearer - 24 hour passages - like this one, I am grateful.

But even the listeners are noticing. One called Friday to the front desk and asked if the guy who used to do nights on KIOA was coming back. Kathy told him no. He said that was o.k., he liked me, but it seemed like I was everywhere. Tonight (last night) when I was filling on the STAR 102.5 70's show, I had a listener call and say it was great to hear me, but wow, how many stations am I on? He had heard me on KIOA, Lite and Star all within 24 hours and was a little confused. Join the club.

My whole goal these days when I walk into a studio is to not screw up and say the wrong call letters. LOL.

And to add to my punch-drunk amusement in this situation? As I came to my desk to type this, I realized the clocks had corrected. It's now 3 o'clock in the morning, not 2. Despite having reminded people all night to set their clocks ahead, i tiredly forgot that would mean I would lose an hour of sleep I probably wasn't getting anyway.

Plus, I had a migraine this afternoon and a good part of tonight. Whine.

The gym and I seem to have been separated by work and fate this weekend and that thought makes me even more tired.

Yours in exhaustion, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment