Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Define and Display Your Motivation

The first time I lost weight I had two reasons:  my health and my nephew.  This time the list is a little longer, yet still includes those two key elements.  I think sometimes I struggle with why I am doing this because I haven't winnowed down my list.  So, now I will advise you to do what I haven't - it's kind of like reading something from your parents circa third grade, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Seriously though, a clear idea and a visible representation can go a long way toward winning the mental game that equals success.  That's why I keep a picture of my nephew Caelen on my desk.  (That and he's pretty much my favorite human ever!)  I will be getting my 'list' down to a couple of other main motivators and then placing pictures of them in my cubical as well - or wherever you spend an inordinate amount of time.

Some people post pictures of their former skinny pictures on their refridgerator - I find that depressing and then I just want to sit there and repeat "why" over and over while eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's.  But the rule here is - whatever works for YOU.

If you are not a visual person, create an affirmation.  Write it down, say it in the mirror, record it and play it back or put it in between songs on the mp3 player that you take to workouts.  Maybe it's a pair of jeans you look hot in when thinned down.  In the end it has to be about you.

You can't lose weight for someone else.  If you do, you will be resentful and gain it all back at the end to show them who is really in control of your life.

To sum up:  Find your motivation and do what it takes to keep it top of mind.

Yours in Health,
Kate

Pictures of my key motivators:

Caelen on his 7th birthday a few weeks ago
as captured by Annette, my sister-in-law.
Me healthy & in a toga
- which says it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment