Saturday, October 30, 2010

Restoring Sanity

I admit it, I wish I was in Washington, D.C. right now at the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.  I have been watching the stream online and can feel the power of the people.  It is enlivening and gives me hope.  We all need more sanity.

I don't think politicians and the media realize how much their saber rattling and pontificating fray reasonable people's nerves.  Or sadly (and more likely) they do.  It's what gets them support and ratings.  If that's the case, it's sick.  And it's not just one political party or one network, they all pander to our emotions.

We need to take that power back and call for reason.  My friend Maxine Sieleman from PRAISE 940, gave me a great quote for an article I wrote about her, “You can lead me, but you can’t drive me.  I don’t want people telling me what to think, I’m not stupid.  Instead I want to tell people what is happening and let them make their own decisions.” - YES!  


Give me the facts, not your opinion of the facts, not a spin on the facts, the ACTUAL facts, I can take it from there.  Everyone can.  We are intelligent people, common sense tells us to ask questions if we are confused or need more information to form an opinion.  Trying to sway me or scare me will only make me mad and disenfranchised.  I guarantee if you talk down to me like I am three in an attempt to impress upon me your self-perceived intellect, I will balk.  


So, let's bring back reason.  Speak kindly, discuss don't argue.  Smile even when someone says something ugly, it will confuse them. 


And the greatest thing about restoring sanity?  You feel better.  Your stress drops, you eat less and you have time for yourself instead of worry.  


I'm watching the Rally, even as I go to the gym today.  I feel like I can breath a little more each time I see someone embrace reason.  Perhaps by the end of the day my worry lines will have released and I will even look a little younger. :)


Have a sane and sensible day,
Kate




 

No comments:

Post a Comment