Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Shin Splints

Well, I have officially done it to myself. My left shin has a "shin splint", also know as the outer area of bone and muscle getting very cranky. It started on my Monday run/walk and tonight it really dug in. So, no more running until I get it to settle down.

I am hoping for some relief by Saturday or Gordon will think I am making excuses for not running with him. We will still walk, but frankly that will not satisfy him.

I Googled the condition and found a new stretch for the front of my legs. I also found trainer recommendations for dealing with the pain, ice and ibuprofen. Neither one was a big shocker and both helped.

I will just walk hard the rest of the week and work my upper body. I refuse to give up a week of training to an injury I probably could have avoided by dropping another 20 pounds before I started running. Or maybe it's my running surface, all concrete.

Perhaps I should look harder at working out at Gray's Lake, I could be on the grass at the edge of the path then. Hmmm, something to consider. In the mean time I will follow the treatment options prescribed and look into the shin splint prevention strap a friend mentioned at work.

Best always, Ms_H
Weight - 178 pounds (Yes, I lost a pound and yes, I wanted more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment