Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The New Challenge

I recently had a call from Micki at the American Lung Association - Iowa Chapter. She had heard from my friend Leslie that I had lost a lot of weight. I said yes, 105 pounds. She was, as most people are, both impressed and flabbergasted. She also wanted to know my story, so I gave her the basics. That's when she mentioned why she had really called.

She thought I would be a great spokesperson for the 801 Power Climb. It's the annual event where walkers/runners/firefighters ascend all 41 floors of stairs at the 801 Grand building downtown. I had heard of the event, but was intrigued to learn more. She told me that everyone from kids and families to firefighters in full gear did the climb. One guy even did it in just over 4 minutes last year! (I really do have to find out how he did that because, come one, I can't even get the elevator to go that fast sometimes.)

Well, she had me interested. I agreed to pass the information on and maybe Lite 104.1 or even the Des Moines Radio Group would be interested in sponsoring it. (It's now in the capable hands of Chris and Scott in the promotions department to make that decision.)

Meanwhile the Saturday before my 5K I was at the wellness expo that was part of the race weekend and there was the American Lung booth. They had smartly placed themselves in the midst of some of the most fit people in Iowa. I met up with Donna from AL-Iowa there and she was bubbling with excitement that things were going well. That pretty much solidified it for me, the 801 Power Climb is my next goal.

When I said that, my brother Gordon who was my rock during the 5K, said he was in too. Now Casey and Annette are considering it as well. It looks like another family affair. And this time, not just for fitness sake, but for a great cause.

Learn more about how you can make this a goal for you as well by going HERE.

Micki and Donna have even given me a great visual motivator, a calendar of New Zealand firefighters. They are coming to compete against other firefighters from around the world. The calendar is very nice, if you would like to see what I mean, go HERE. Nothing naughty, just a little fun. My favorite is MacGregor. You can buy your own at that site, it's for a good cause - children's cancer.

Anyway, here's to climbing higher in my fitness on Sunday, February 24, 2008!

Yours in fitness, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment