Thursday, October 25, 2007

What do you eat?

That is the second question people ask me when I say I have lost 105 pounds. And they say it with an incredulous tone that infers I must be eating nothing but celery and carrots. People truly believe the only way you can lose a substantial amount of weight is to deprive yourself.

I will tell you that is wrong. I wouldn't be 40% lighter if it were true, because I am bad at disallowing my favorite things. In fact, it's why I failed so many times in the past.

Instead what I have learned is what a portion really looks like.

One of the top reasons Americans are obese is because we have no idea what a portion is. This picture is an example of how portions have changed, note that this is a "salad" and they are healthy right?
See those calories? That doesn't even begin to address the fat in that "healthy" favorite. Take the two quizzes about portion control - here.

I have debated how we came to a world where what we allot ourselves to eat in one sitting has become so out of control. There are a number of reasons I believe, but this isn't about socio-economic reasons for obesity, I am talking about what to eat. :)

I control my food, I no longer let it control me. I am aware of the calories and fat I put in my body. I do my level best to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. I will not put anything in my body with trans fats or an outrageous amount of saturated fat. Beyond that, almost anything is fair game - if I am reasonable and responsible.

Reasonable means I eat one cookie, one good size bite of a decadent dessert, half a cheesy sandwich, you get the idea - moderation.

Responsible means I know what is going into my body, why I am putting it there and how it's going to end up. What - going back to the make-up of the food, ingredients, calories, fat. Why - Am I stressing? Angry? Lonely? Craving? Or actually hungry? How - Is my body going to use what I am putting in it for good or evil. Good - I build muscle, fight disease, meet my daily calories that are needed to both survive and exercise. Bad - Junk metabolizes quickly and poorly, too much and it becomes fat. Too much of anything becomes fat actually, because if your body gets too many calories, they have to go somewhere; hence my hips.

You'll note I didn't just give you a "diet" to follow, because diets fail. Instead I gave you the idea of some guidelines. I say idea because everyone is different in what they need for their own body. I will say though that no one has ever failed to lose weight who watched their calorie intake and exercised.

To be honest, you can take in too few calories and put your body into starvation mode and actually gain weight. So, check with a professional to set your initial calorie guidelines. You see, I have professionals helping me now, but I started this on my own - after I checked with my doctor.

On the right of the page you will find links to several sites to support your journey. One is a link to the USDA to help you find the calories and nutritional make-up of almost any food, even a number of fast foods. (Prepare to be scared.)

That's it for now, questions are now and always welcome. Back to my carrots. (Don't worry, I want to eat them, no body is forcing me.;) )

Yours in wellness, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment