Friday, November 5, 2010

Food Safety - This Means You, er.... Rather Me

Experiment:  I ran through the door after 8 on Wednesday night.  I was too impatient to wait out the food in the oven and looked to the fridge for a 'quick fix' to the gnawing in my stomach.  Me: "Hey Lori, you think these (pause to count days in head), 5-day old shrimp Rangoon would be okay if I microwave them."  Lori: "Yea, they're only 5 days old, it should be fine."

Result:  The FDA, CDC and USDA would be disgusted.  Ugh.  About 90 minutes after I ate them I 'felt funny'.  I tried to go to bed with sweats and stomach bulging.  I had no idea what it was.  Even crawling from bed to bathroom to be ill, didn't clue me in.  Duh.  Yes, it was food poisoning.  Though sadly, not the worst case I have ever had.

Lesson:  The 5-day old crab Rangoon in the refrigerator is dead! DO NOT EAT IT!  Almost 40 years into my time on Earth I should know better.  Chances are a combination of shrimp and cream cheese left uneaten for more than 48 hours could turn toxic.  We now have plans to be much more careful at our house.

So, I decided to share this link for any questions you may have about food safety.  It answers all of your basics and I am going to reiterate one more - don't go more than 48-72 hours on leftovers.  That way you will never have to fight the kitten for the water in the toilet bowl.

Yours in Health,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment