Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Week

A week and a half ago I was laying in a hospital bed.  As I lay there I began to feel very alone and sorry for myself.  I had ended up in the emergency room after almost passing out at work.  They couldn't figure out what was wrong with me (and still haven't) and I was at a loss.

I began to cry.  But then my cell phone began to beep - text after text starting coming in from friends and co-workers checking on my status.  I stopped, took a deep breath, and began counting my blessings.

My friend Mary had driven me to the hospital and stayed until my mom dropped everything at work and came to be with me.  I had medical coverage that would help take the sting out of my hospital bills.  And while there was no one physically in the room with me at that moment - the phone calls and texts assured me I was loved.  I was suddenly full of gratitude, I was truly thankful.

So, as this week begins and I face going to yet another doctor in search of answers, I will not hold a pity party.  Instead I will embrace the abundance of my life and move forward with appreciation.

One of the things I appreciate is YOU - those who have stuck with reading my blog and giving me feedback.  Through illness and falter, happiness and loss - you have been here. The way I will say thank you is giving you daily recipes this week.  The Holiday Season is officially beginning and for anyone trying to be healthier there are more pitfalls than can be counted.  Hopefully these recipes will ease some of the stress of making good choices.


Thick and Creamy Spinach-Artichoke Dip

If you have an aversion to mayonnaise, like I do, this is a great take on a classic.  Add a giant platter of veggies to this and you have a healthier snack while dinner readies.

Ingredients:
1 (14-1/2 oz.) can quartered or whole artichoke hearts in water, drained
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 (7 oz.) tub 2% fat Greek style yogurt, such as Fage
¾ cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons light sour cream
1/8 teaspoon each: salt, freshly ground black pepper and freshly ground nutmeg

Preparation:

Heat oven to 400°F.

Finely chop the artichoke hearts and place them in a medium bowl. Add spinach, yogurt, ½ cup of the cheese, sour cream, pepper and nutmeg.

Mix well and spread into a 9-inch pie plate or quiche dish. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheese over dip and bake 20 minutes or until heated through.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes about 3 cups dip.

Yours in Health,
Kate

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you were in the hospital. I hope you find some answers soon! I'm glad you can count your blessings. I need to do that more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am bad at counting blessings as well. But it was one of those moments that put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete