Sunday, May 13, 2007

300 and Gerard Butler's Thighs

So, you may remember my plan on April 28, I was going to meet my short-term weight loss goal and finally go see the movie "300".

Well, I hit that goal and then promptly got too busy to go to the movie. It ended its run here in town, because we have no second run theatres left in town. (I will save that rant for a different blog.) I was so disheartened because everyone had told me to see it on the big screen and this was supposed to be my reward, DVD just wouldn’t be the same.

This last Wednesday night I was reprieved. I found out that my favorite theatre; Merle Hay Cinema (largest non-IMAX screen in the state) was pulling it in for one week only. So Friday night, I grabbed my friend Linda and after a healthy dinner of veggie fajitas at Monterrey we headed over.



Review: It was visually stunning. Four minutes into the movie and I thought, "I have never seen a movie like this". I am a major film buff, so those thoughts are few and far between. It made me giddy and excited to watch the rest.

It did not disappoint. It was graphically violent and even, I suppose, a bit gory. But I am no fool, I knew what I was in for - it's a graphic novel. Linda however, despite my warning, still covered her eyes at the first flying body part. I don't know if that made me laugh, or because it was a "bad" guy paying the price I found the moment amusing.

Lena Headey was a wonderful Queen Gorgo, strong and she brooked very little B.S. Right up until she fell for Theron's (Dominic West) line about helping her. I felt like it was really out of character for her, she was smarter than that. As for West, he was once again a perfect snake.

The supporting cast of soldiers was really great. Special standouts for me were Michael Fassbender and Tom Wisdom. Vincent Regan also broke my heart as the Captain. David Wenham was his usual wonderful self. Wenham just dissolves into characters. His Dilios was my favorite character besides the "man himself", who I will cover in a moment. Wenham has this amazing voice that brings gravity, bemusement or disgust to bear within the first few syllables of a sentence. So casting him as the storyteller was brilliant.

The direction was pitch perfect, Zack Snyder loved his source material and had a vision that not only held to it, but enhanced its pedigree. Most of the film was shot in front of green screen, making the fact that it was visually sumptuous all the more remarkable. Major kudos to the visual effects artists who undoubtedly slept little during post-production. Snyder made a number of creatively risky moves along the way, but one stands out for me, he listened to his leading man when it came to King Leonidas.

Gerard Butler saw Leonidas as not just a leader, but also a presence. You needed to take one look at the King and think two things: Yes, men would follow him to their deaths and I hope I don't piss him off, because he could kill me with a look. Butler embodied every bit of that. He put himself through hell to get into astounding shape as I also noted in the blog entry referenced above. Physically you had no doubt that he would bring pain in battle. The slow motion shots, which were used to brilliant effect by Snyder, made Butler's (and the rest of the Spartan soldiers) body all the more important. You can see every muscle working in tandem to create powerful grace, even in the midst of slaughter. But being brutally built is not enough for a King.

Like with his portrayal of the Phantom in "Phantom of the Opera", Butler brings much more to the table than others might have thought to pack. His sad, sexy, slightly maddened by circumstance Phantom moved me to tears, again not easy to do, I'm jaded. He brought something to that role I don't think Andrew Lloyd Webber had envisioned. Now with Leonidas he delivers again. Yes, as a number of "professional" critics have noted, he nibbles on scenery occasionally. However, he brings depth to what could have been as one dimensional as the paper that "300" was printed on.

With a single glance you know what he is thinking. You feel his conflict without words and know that despite having been raised from birth to be a Spartan warrior, he feels deeply at leaving his wife and son. And though he is all bravado for his troops on the battlefield, he is keenly aware of their pain and sacrifice.

So, what about the Butler abs I waxed poetic about before, the ones that spurred my increased workouts? They were indeed awe inspiring, as were his thighs. I imagine there is quite a bit of power there. His almost obsession with becoming a perfect Greek figure paid off in spades. Though I understand his body hasn’t really been the same since due to injuries and over training. I thank him for his passion.

His passion has inspired me.

I am passionate too. I’m going for a walk now.

Best always, Ms_H
Weight – 185 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment