Thursday, May 3, 2007

Walk the Walk

Today I followed through on a promise I made myself some time ago. I swore that if it were nice, I had the time and there were daylight, I would walk to work from now on. I live a swift 15 minute walk away, (18 on the way back because of the serious hills) so there is no good excuse for using the car.

This was also going to be my only chance for cardio today. Much to my annoyance I sat and watched it rain as the afternoon drug on. I haven't made a commitment to rain gear yet, because I have just started walking outside. The rain turned to a drizzle and the temperature dropped below 60 as my nephew was picked up for the day and I stared out the window again.

Every good reason not to follow through pounded in my head: I will get soaked; these are brand new workout shoes; I can't work wet, I will catch a cold; if I have a bad experience this time, I won't want to do it again; I don't want to. All right, the last one isn't a good excuse, but it went though my head.

Then my roomie came home, I dawdled, talked to her, got dressed in my workout clothes and looked out the window again. The drizzle had lightened and my resolve was strengthened, it was time to suck it up. So I did. I grabbed an umbrella, in case of downpour and hit the streets. Though not before culling a promise from the roomie that if it was pouring too hard when I was ready to come back, she would come get me. (She's astoundingly patient.)

Now I am ready to do it all the time. It was fun and empowering. People looked at me a little strange, because though downtown is being rebuilt and is increasingly residential, residents still don't power walk in drizzle. But I did by god and I loved it. And I am glad I stopped listening to the wuss that resides in the old part of my brain.

I also used my new step-on tension band today. It was good, but I am going to have to research more exercises online, because the ones that came with will get old quick.

Best always, Ms_H
Weight - 186

No comments:

Post a Comment