Monday, May 28, 2007

Ready to Run

The last 24 hours have gone a long way toward following through on my stated plan to run a 5K in October.

First, I chose and registered for a race. It's the 5K that happens on October 21st in conjunction with the Des Moines Marathon. Here is the Des Moines Marathon site. So, I have plenty of time to train.

I will have at least one training buddy. I am excited to say that my brother Gordon will be joining me in the race. He, like every other member of my family, struggles with his weight. He is currently quite overweight and I have been trying to find gentle ways to get him motivated. I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I asked him if he would do this with me and he said yes. We will train separately and meet up once a week to run and keep each other on track.

Annette, my sister-in-law to be, will be running the half-marathon that day and my brother Casey, her betrothed, has decided to join her. So, it will be a real family affair. The only downside is we hoped to get Caelen, my 4 year old (by then) nephew, into the kids fun run, but you have to be 7. He's fast, he could probably beat them all in the 1/4 mile race, but I guess we'll never know. ;)

Second, I went to the mall today and purchased my heavy duty sports bra. I ended up, after seemingly endless research, going with the Enell. Honestly I was avoiding it because a number of celebrities had endorsed it, including Oprah. Now, while I completely respect and admire (and in some ways aspire to) all that Oprah has accomplished and does for the world, I was bristling at having her help me pick a sports bra. But the more I read, the more I was convinced that if you have an ample bosom this was the only realistic choice.

I tried it on, which takes some doing because it has like 15 hooks, all up the front and found it comfortable. I will say, despite knocking two cup sizes off of me to control "the girls", I didn't feel as confined and squished as I have in bras with less support. While I had it on I jogged really hard in the dressing room and got minimal bounce, I was impressed. The real test will be later in the week when I have enough time to take a run.

That's going to be my real challenge this week, finding time to workout. I work at 3:30 in the morning this week and then I have Caelen all day. He gets picked up about 5:30 p.m. and then, well I should probably should be winding down to go to bed at a decent time to start it all over again. But I am going to workout instead, I think. I just don't think I will work as hard this week, so that I am not flush with adrenaline when 8 p.m. rolls around. That's my self-imposed cut off to finally start heading for bed, since I have to be up by about 2:45 a.m.

Speaking of my lovely schedule I had better go eat so that bed will happen before 9 tonight.

Best always, Ms_H
Weight - 183 Pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment