Sunday, July 29, 2007

Emotional Eating

My stomach is growling right now. It's trying to convince me that I need to eat whatever I can get my hands on. The truth is, I got the wind knocked out of me by someone today and my mind wants to numb itself by consuming something bad.

The person told me a bit of news while I was getting ready for dinner. I knew the situation was coming, but I didn't expect it to happen for another month; that's the part that left me shaken. I fixed my plate, kept my portions small and ate slowly to ward off what I knew was rising inside me.

But when I had finished my food, I made the mistake of passing on a message from someone and giving my opinion about it. The person made it clear my views were unwelcome and that in fact they, along with my involvement in the situation, would be frowned upon in the future. It felt like I had been punched in the gut.

I know I can be pushy and this person was in fact right, I was trying to get my way. But I have been involved with this project from day one and it's going to be hard to let go. Especially to the extent that was inferred today.

Then I was handed dessert.

I ate three bites and gave the rest to Gordon.

Every part of me was screaming to finish it and grab the extra one in the fridge. This afternoon I am actively fighting that old behaviour. I had my carrots and in a few minutes I will have the other part of my planned snack, but that's it.

I have to prove I can do this, even when I feel like crap.

Best always, Ms_H
Weight - 166 pounds

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you got a bit blindsided. He doesn't always have the most tact. I didn't know about the change being this soon until it was a done deal either - if that makes you feel any better - and I told him to talk to you ASAP. Which means 2 days later. You can come over any time, or take the boy on dates any time. Promise! We love you a ton!

    And wow, I would have eaten the dessert so fast I wouldn't have even tasted it. I might have even choked a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very kind, thank you. It's what I needed to hear and hearing it from you is great. I just wish it was coming from him, but that's not who he is.

    The dessert comment made me snort.

    I'll see you soon.

    ReplyDelete