Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday Fun Food

Eating healthy can seem very stodgy and tasteless, but it doesn't have to be at all.  Today is Friday (thank goodness) and it's time to embrace the weekend and have some fun.  One little problem, 'fun food' makes people think, 'naughty'.  Well, it can be.  If I had a dollar for every time I gave into the idea that the weekend meant 'full fat' I would have a lot of dollars. However, since no one ever actually pays for these types of things, I have the pounds as proof.  

I have been craving a burger big time and we know how calorie laden those can be.  So, I went to the Iowa Turkey Federation site and pulled up the part of their cookbook that covers sandwiches, including eight ways to do burgers.  YUM!

Greek Burger
I was just reading that you can save an average of 100 calories per meal by replacing other meats with turkey!  If you eat meat at most meals, add that up.  Even substituting in just one meal a day, you could lose almost a pound in a month without changing your eating habits in any other way.  Wow.

I am a big turkey fan because when the breast is ground it's just as flexible as beef.  We've had it all - burgers, meatballs, sloppy toms - it all seems naughty, but make it with turkey and it gets better for you.

Enjoy your food and the weekend - you deserve it!

Yours in Health,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment