Tuesday, September 21, 2010

!ntuition Magazine - March/April Column

I promised a surprise and here it is - I am going to post all of my columns from !ntuition Magazine throughout this week.  I posted January/February's here in March.  But I haven't posted any of the others.

As a number of people have noted, it's hard to find !ntuition once it hits stands - they go quickly. The other thing is a number of readers for this blog are outside of the Des Moines metro.  So, here is the March/April column:


Life’s Journey by Kate Garner

"A Quiet Moment"

I want to start by saying Thank You for all the great feedback on this column.  Many of you have shared similar stories, I appreciate your honesty and I plan to maintain mine.

As I sit here writing, I weigh 255, that’s 5 pounds down from last column, but not where I wanted to be.  My family went to Disney World, vacation food added 5 pounds.  I also injured my knee, stretching my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). 

My knee is getting better now.  So, instead of walking I’m doing some upper-body work.  I am also retooling my diet.  Fruits and vegetables at center again with whole grains and lean proteins.  Still, there’s that evil voice; I named her Luci (Lucifer), which wants me to eat three instead of one.

It’s that kind of negative block that has me seeking light.  Right here in !ntuition we have Deb Engle, we sat down to talk meditation and journaling.  She explained benefits of both, the main thing is that they can bring clarity to situations that have long plagued a busy mind. 

There are several kinds of mediation - CDs or group or yet others are way to rest your mind for 5-minutes.  My favorite:  In a quiet place, breathe deeply and relax – now go into your mind’s garden.  Look around, what do you see?  Flowers?  Bushes?  Other people?  What you see says a lot about where you are in life.

I’m journaling for specific things, but this meditation gives me great peace.  I did it again last week and for the first time my garden had purple flowers in it.  I looked up the meaning of purple and found what I hope is a hint at my path to come – it represents wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.  I know I am going to need all of the above on this journey.  

March/April Cover Girl Stacy
If you want to try to find the current edition, September/October, look here for locations to pick-up or come to our offices at 1416 Locust St in downtown Des Moines, we have them in the atrium.  

Tomorrow it will be May/June.

Yours in Health, 
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment