Monday, November 19, 2007

Will Power

Ran into an old aquaintance the other day, she was surprised by my weight loss. She said, "I didn't think you would have the will power."

LOL. I respect her honesty. But I had to correct her and congratulate her on being right. She's right, I really don't have willpower. But she is wrong that it takes will power, it doesn't. The concept of will power to me is in the same league with faeries, it would be lovely if the magical creatures existed, but chances are they don't.

In fact, I don't believe in will power, I believe in self-respect.

Self-respect is - I want that fudge brownie, but I respect my body more than to eat it. Self-respect is - I really don't want to go to the gym, but I am going because I know I need to. Self-respect is - not putting yourself in a situation where you know you traditionally fail, without a plan. Example: Going to your favorite pizza place with your friends, without thinking through which salad you will get to go with that one piece of pizza that you will enjoy. (Pizza from your favorite joint probably has 300-500 calories and 10-18g of fat per slice, just FYI.)

So whenever I am about to fall off the wagon and dive into old behaviour, I remind myself about self-respect. Or, you can call it self-love, either way it's about you and not about what has been put before you as a challenge.

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment