Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday Dinner

I went and put in another killer cardio workout this morning at Fitness World West. I ran, did the elliptical, some crunches, pilates moves and the stair climber. It was about an hour and 15 minutes. After, I felt great.

Then I went to my mother's for dinner and I felt even better. You see, I really enjoy seeing my family each week. My brothers come, my grandpa, mom, step-dad and frequently my sister-in-law, nephew and my roomie Lori. We get to catch-up, be funny and just bask in family. It's a rare chance to slow down and remember what things were like before there were 12 hour days and endless meetings.

Until recently however, going to my mom's dinners were actually a bit stressful. My mother loves to cook and shows her love through cooking and she's good at both. However, she did not like to cook healthy. Well, my step-father now has type 2 diabetes and my mother has been forced to change how she cooks.

The biggest thing was getting her to understand that healthy cooking didn't have to be boring. You can cut the fat, calories, sodium, etc and still come out with great tasting and satisfying meals. I encouraged her to pick-up cook books again and use all of the spices that she has accumulated from the spice store where Lori works part-time.

She finally took up the challenge and two weeks in a row she has rocked the house. Last week paella, this week - white chili and turkey enchiladas. Both were so good that even Gordon wanted more. You see, despite trying to get healthy, Gordon still likes to eat, so it better not taste "healthy".

It was wonderful, mom loved the challenge, everyone loved the food and I was able to eat without having to grill her on calories and ingredients.

This change is long overdue and very welcome. So thank you Mom!

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment