Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Party Dish #3 & The measure of a woman

When I was working my butt off, at work, yesterday (and don't we wish that was literally possible) people didn't understand my being disturbed by one day away from the gym. I don't want to come off as obsessive, but I do want to be diligent when it comes to my health - I spent many years ignoring it and I am still paying.

When I was last at Fitness World West on Monday, Trainer Traci and I did measurements again. It's been about 7 weeks since we did them last. My weight hasn't changed - 153. But my inches have - down by at least 1/2 inch everywhere and in my arms and my thighs, even more.

However Traci and I talked and I want more. I truly believe there is more fat to be removed from my body, I want to be leaner and more athletic. While I have made great strides in these areas, it's time to try some different tricks.

My food - Traci believes and I concur, I have gotten in a rut. Now I am going to do smaller snacks throughout the day and make my way to more whole foods. I have become too dependent on protein bars. While they are great for convenience and portion control, Traci thinks my body is used to burning them and isn't challenged to use extra calories for digestion. I can proudly say, I only had half a protein bar yesterday.

My workout - Traci thinks my body has become used to that as well. It's not that I don't trade out on cardio or that she doesn't give me a different set of exercises each time we train, it's that I am not surprising my body anymore. I guess it's like any relationship - you have to shake things up once in a while to keep the fire.

The fire is the key. I need to require my body to burn my stored fat to both get the most from my food and my workout. So, I am going to do more interval training. 5 minutes of cardio, some weights, 15 minutes of cardio, core work, etc. Each time will be different. I am looking forward to this next step. I want that silly scale to move.

Please note, while I have said that the number on the scale is not important, it is in so far as it taunts me knowing I am not getting at the last of the fat stores. Once I have my body shaped the way I want it, I truly will not care what that number on the little machine that provokes us all says.

As for a party dish, this is uber healthy and you can have half a cup!

Zesty Corn Salsa
Serve at a party or as a condiment with your favorite Mexican meal.

Servings: 4
Yield: 2 Cups

1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeƱo chili

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Per Serving: 53 Calories; trace Fat (6.3% calories from fat); trace Saturated Fat; 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat.

This is from Lowfatlifestyle.com

Yours in health, Kate

2 comments:

  1. Those people who say it's not a big deal to miss a day at gym probably aren't bothered by skipping flossing. And that's just gross.

    Seriously, you go on with your gym going self! I do take one day off each week, but I try to double up on one to three days. And I have NEVER FELT BETTER! Like I could catch a fly with chopsticks.

    One of these days I'd like to work out with you. I sometimes wish I had a workout buddy and Casey is so over that. Since we're at different gyms, maybe we can go ice skating or hiking at Ledges in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww... that is gross. Good for you on the two-a-days. I have trouble getting to my one, but I do.

    We should definitely workout together. I would love to go ice skating. I haven't been since Caelen and I broke each other in last year. We could take him, he really liked it.

    Maybe some Saturday or Sunday.

    As for hiking, definitely, I even plan to get the proper boots!

    ReplyDelete