Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fudge

Let me be clear - I LOVE the holidays! I love to give gifts, I love the lights, I love the fun, I love the goodies... the last one is the problem. That last one is why I can't wait for the holidays to be over. I hate the holidays.

I had pretty much been able to avoid all of the pitfalls of the season until this last week. Then everyone, even people you could never imagine making treats, decided to share the wealth and bring in candy, cookies, bars, breads and yes, fudge.

They all do it with the same intention my mom has when she cooks to much, they want to show they care. Please, just tell me, don't bake for me.

I don't mean to seem like an ingrate, but you see, I'm a food addict. Just knowing those treats are in the building is almost too much to take. It has lead me to the break room far too often. Now, that being said, my overeating has eased - somewhat.

Now when I grab something, it tends to be half of one or just a corner cut off. But that adds up too. Especially if there are six things sitting there that look desirable.

The next three days will be the ones that truly try my soul. Today it is Christmas at Mom's. Tomorrow, Christmas Eve, work treats and our annual Asian food festival at my Dad's. (Funny story for later on how that started.) And then of course the big one - Christmas day.

First, the gym is closed, so I won't even be able to partially offset any damage I might do. Then there is the celebration at my Aunt and Uncle's with my Dad's family. Then, if my mom makes it back we will hang with her in the late afternoon.

I am approaching these days with trepidation because if this last week has taught me anything, it's that - I still harbor a number of the same food issues I had before and a compulsion to act on them.

Now, I am going to type advice for fending off the urges and hope I follow my own advice:

*Moderation. Anything except lard is o.k. in moderation.
*Take just a taste and savor it.
*Be satisfied with just one - no matter how good something tastes.
*Drink a big glass of water before, during and after dinner to help fill you up. (Water causes everything to expand.)
*Also drink water after anything sweet to try to get the sugar out of your mouth, if you still taste sugar you will want more.
*If all else fails, brush your teeth with peppermint toothpaste, nothing tastes good after that.
*Fill up on the veggie tray that will be out before dinner, very few calories and full of fiber so you will feel fuller longer.
*Eat the meat. Turkey breast is lower in calories than most meats and it is a rocking source of protein. Protein makes you feel full and lasts longer in your stomach.
*Try to use what has worked for you before. Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean all of your new habits have taken a break. (Or at least I hope not or I am in trouble.)

Well, I better get it in gear, I have things to finish up and get ready for mom's.

I'll check in tomorrow with a report on how I did.

Yours in health, Kate
That's just a few

No comments:

Post a Comment