Thursday, December 13, 2007

Party Dish #4 (Shalom) & She said it would be like this

LOL. I was just thinking back to my workout with Traci yesterday. She was really busting my butt, literally. I did tons of leg work, plus abs and stairs, etc. Well, at the third set of step-ups I was like, "I think you're going to get your way, I bet I really feel this tomorrow." She says, "No, you'll probably come in saying, 'Actually, I feel fine, not sore at all' and I will have to start plotting again."

She was right. Tee-hee. I like being in shape. I am looking forward to leaving here in an hour and get even more so. Seriously, Traci and Fitness World West - Rock the house!

Now, on to today's party recipe... I wish I had found this at the start of Hanukkah. I'm not Jewish, but well Latkes are my friends. I just can't eat the ones fried by the ladies at the synagogue anymore - too much being bad there.

This is a nice alternative with a few more veggies to kick them up.


Vegetable Party Latke

Use the shredding blade attachment on a food processor to shred the vegetables.

Ingredients:
1 pound shredded peeled baking potatoes
4 ounces shredded peeled sweet potato
4 ounces shredded zucchini
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 medium onion, shredded
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potato mixture. Press mixture into an even layer in bottom of pan; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Place a large plate upside down on top of pan, and invert onto plate.

Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Slide latke, uncooked-side down, into pan; wrap skillet handle with foil. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Cut latke into 8 wedges.

8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 146(25% from fat); FAT 4.2g (sat 0.7g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 3.7g; CHOLESTEROL 26mg; CALCIUM 16mg; SODIUM 252mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 24.1g

You could always cut the fat further by using less oil. This is from one of my favorite magazines: Cooking Light.

Happy belated Hanukkah, Shalom!

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment