Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Party Dish #2 & Stupid Snow

Urgh. Third time in three weeks the snow has impeded me from going to the gym. I am disgusted. I want to be sweating right now. I want to be working out my aggression toward this precipitation by creating my own. Instead I am at my desk waiting for closings and delays. Good thing I love my job.

I do plan to do some core work when I get home; it's better than nothing. You see, you don't need equipment to get started, just an urge to make it happen.

Now, on to happier things like your holiday party. You need healthier dishes and I am here for you. Today it's White Bean Hummus. One way to make this even healthier is to cut down on the olive oil. On the other hand, olive oil is exactly the kind of fat we want in our diet. So maybe cut the fat for the day somewhere else. As Lori always says, "Hummus is yummus."

White Bean Hummus

Ingredients:

1 - can small white beans (drained)
1/4 c - extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp - lemon juice
2 - peeled cloves garlic
1/2 tsp - fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp - salt (always use sea or kosher, more flavor, less sodium)
1/2 tsp - fresh-ground pepper

In a food processor, combine all ingredients. Whirl until smooth.

Spoon into a bowl and set on a platter. Around hummus, arrange colorful vegetables such as sliced bell peppers, sliced carrots, and blanched asparagus spears and broccoli florets.

Makes 1 cup of hummus.

Per tablespoon hummus: 46 cal., 70% (32 cal.) from fat; 1 g protein; 3.6 g fat (0.5 g sat.); 2.7 g carbo (0.7 g fiber); 189 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.

This party option comes from Sunset magazine a couple of years ago. Enjoy.

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment