Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fitness Pole Dancing

Yesterday's workout festival started with trainer Traci putting me through my paces at FWW. She did a great job of pushing me. It was a lot better than the last time we met when I felt like I was slogging through wet cement.

One thing we did have to adjust for was my left knee. It really talked back a couple of times. I'm not sure if it was the running, biking or elliptical from the preceding days, but something made it cranky. So we just modified a few moves and I was fine. However, Traci told me no cardio for today to give the knee a chance to rest. Boooo! But, she's right. I just did weights today instead and some strengthening and lengthening moves for my legs, quads and glutes.

As for fitness pole dancing? It was a BLAST! I have never had so much fun working out. It was an introductory class/ party, we had about 18 girls to start (some had to get home to their kids) and we let our inhibitions fall to the floor. Because our group was so big, it only cost us $20 each and was worth every penny.

We met at Kees Camp, where owner and instructor Jen Kees put us through our paces. She taught us a small routine, showed us a number of tricks with the poles and then she and our hostess Sam performed full routines. It was enlightening, sexy and definitely a workout.



Jen Kees had never pole danced before she started the school. She (as did I) heard about it on the coasts about 18 months ago and thought, "why do the coasts get to have the fun?" Rather than wait for the movement to come here, which with fitness usually takes about 3 years, she went and learned and brought it to the metro.

Not only is this workout style empowering, but it shreds your muscles and, once you really get going, is even good for your heart. Immediately after the workout I felt it in my upper back and abs, two areas I am particularly interested in. I'll be honest, I also walked away with a few bruises. But when you are first flinging yourself around a pole, it's going to happen.

I am seriously considering taking the class on a regular basis this winter. I think it will be a nice way to break things up once it gets cold. There's also the added benefit of having some special moves to share with the male species - if they are good. ;)

I am already planning to throw an introductory party of my own. I had a lot of girlfriends who wanted to try it, but were gone for the holiday weekend. Plus my friend Marianne (who is a natural) had girlfriends that missed out and (new Drake college student) Ciera wants to get the girls together as well.

By the way, if you are looking for some party fun, this is a great choice. It could be for bachelorettes, birthdays, anything really. (Even divorce as one person suggested!) Really anytime you want to get the girls together to laugh and have fun, this is a nice break from the bar scene.

Yours in fitness, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment