Saturday, August 23, 2008

Improvisation

Barack Obama nearly ruined my workout yesterday.

I was waiting for the man (o.k., his staff) to text me the name of his vice presidential running mate, so I didn't want my cell phone far away. I wanted to be able to get it on the air if he sent it at a reasonable hour. (He did not, he blew it and the Associated Press broke it late last night. Then he texted me at 6:24 a.m.! - It's Biden, in case you missed it.)

Well, I hate when people have their cell phone with them at the gym. Mostly because, if you're not a surgeon, what could possibly be so important that you can't put your phone to bed for an hour? But I digress.

Anyway, I decided I couldn't be parted from my cell, but still wanted a workout. So, I improvised. I danced in my apartment, did some core and used my own body weight to do arms and lower body.

I know I have mentioned this before, but you do not have to buy a bunch of equipment to get started or even, in my case, to be covered for impromptu needs like these. A few key exercises and a willingness to bring your heart rate up in some form other than running, can get you what you need on 'one of those days'.

You may be wondering what exercises are useful in these cases. I could list a few, but they won't teach you technique. So instead I encourage you to check out Women's Health or use Google. You will find both the exercise and a good explanation of how to do it, in some cases there's even a video.

So, today's advice, don't sit it out, improvise.

Yours in fitness, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment