Saturday, February 2, 2008

Inspired Back to Basics

My friend Lori who works at the front desk at my office (a.k.a. - guru/goddess of all that needs care) has started her own health and fitness journey. I am SO proud of her!

She has started eating better, is going to the gym and is even working with a trainer a couple of days a week. She is already seeing amazing results. She has been floored by the power of the basics - portion control, proper food choices and exercise.

And her swift progression reminded me that the basics are just that and they are for EVERYONE, not just beginners. That means me. I have lost sight of them.

I advocate them highly. I give advice from what I have learned. I even (though I try hard not to) preach on them.

Example - I always say 'anything in moderation'. Then I follow-up with the sage wisdom that brought me down 111 pounds so far (yes, I am back at 149) - just have a bite or two, not the whole thing. Mainly this pertains to sweets. This week I had 4 WHOLE cookies and a brownie. Not on the same day, but I did.

I shattered a basic rule and I regret it. It made me feel ashamed. And hypocritical. Like the vascular surgeon friend of mine who spends his day clearing clogged hearts and then has 3 hot dogs from Sam's Club for dinner and never exercises.

"Do as I say, not as I do", that has always irritated the hell out me when people take that attitude. Now, here I am saying, "try to control your sugar, it has no nutritional value and it suppresses your immune system", with a cookie in my hand.

I don't want to be that person, so I won't. I am reintroducing myself to the basics. The first step is to reset completely. So no treats for me today or tomorrow. (That one will be a killer, mom ALWAYS makes dessert on Sunday.)

On Monday I will return to the plan that got me here - keep my treat under 100 calories a day AND plan when I am going eat it. That way I have something to look forward to.

So, thank you Lori for the wake-up call and CONGRATULATIONS on the start of your journey.

Now I am going to the gym - No sugar at Fitness World West. ;)

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment