Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday Inspiration - Happy Mother's Day

Many women have inspired me over the years:

My Mom, Marcia - She's my hero and she hates that I say that. She has made sacrifices for my entire life, from conception on and with a little complaint. She is strong, stubborn, tough and soft as a bunny all rolled into one. I am just like her in many ways and I couldn't be more proud. She has supported me on this journey and I thank her.

My Grandmother, Jean - I know more about her history than she may realize. She has been a kind-hearted rock even in times when her life couldn't have been worse. She always has a smile, a kind word and love - even when she wishes you hadn't made a certain choice. She has a quiet strength that is unmatched. I often wish I were more like her, she isn't loud and brassy, but she is still effective as all get out. I am always impressed.

My Great-Grandmother, Irene - We lost her in 2006. The later part of her life was hard for me to watch, she gave up a little. But the first 90 years were pure fight, fire and power. She was hard working, opinionated, tough, fun and drove like she was at Indy all the time. I don't have her lead foot, but people often tell me I am very much like her. I hope that is true.

My Step-Mom, Lorie - Throughout her life she has faced adversity and won. She is wise and witty and never fears fun. Yet, she can give a withering look and quickly bring the out of control back to Earth. She has been a good friend and a good foil.

Lori, my roomie - While not technically a mother in the biological sense, we do share three cats. She is also an amazing Auntie to Ben and Abby and to my own nephew Caelen on occasion. I didn't like her when we first met, she was too quiet for my taste. Turns out that's because she is always sizing up a situation and preparing the perfect rapier comment for when she deems a situation worthy. That's just one of the ways I wish I were more like her.

There are a myriad of other women who have inspired me - my sister-in-law Annette, Geneva at the office, women in politics, women at non-profits, women fighting disease and just women I have bumped into that have an amazing story.

Whether women actually have children or not, (I don't) doesn't really matter on Mother's Day. This is really a celebration of women. We take care of the world. We deserve appreciation.

So go forth and appreciate your women today.

Yours in (mental) health, Kate

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Happy Kitty and Auntie Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an awesome kitty mom and step-mom. thank you especially for that last one!

    ReplyDelete