Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday

I am not very creative with my titles this weekend, am I?

I wanted to post this mega early so I can get to the Downtown Farmers Market. And now I will extol the virtues of Farmers Markets.

These annual events are a great way to get fresh produce and other products every week. Warm weather makes people think healthier thoughts, so this partners well with growing season. Plus, if you buy at a farmers market, you are quite likely buying local. That way you support the local economy, decrease the carbon foot print of your food (not as much gas or pesticides used) and can get to know your grower.

I highly encourage a conversation with every vendor who is not busy so that you know their growing schedule. Find out if they are organic, do they have a shop to visit off season, are they an Aries, whatever - it's a great way to meet people and find amazing food.

By the way, even if you aren't in the Des Moines metro, I guarantee their is a farmers market in your backyard, just look around.

Enjoy your day!

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment