Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Workout Buddy

I am usually a solo act when it comes to working out. I put on my Creative Zen and get into the zone. It doesn't matter whether I am running, lifting or crunching, as I have noted before, music makes everything better.

So, when my friend Tim suggested we run together I said yes, but in my head I was unsure. I wasn't positive I could run the 4+ mile route he was proposing without my tunes. But he and I have been talking about doing something together for months and our schedules meshed up, I didn't want to say no.

And, it was fun. We chatted and I got to know him a little better. We have been working together for 5 and a half years now, but you don't always have the meaningful talks over the water cooler. Once again I was struck how exercise is the greatest therapist ever. It's an equalizer and makes people say things they are normally to guarded to divulge. Which just gave me the thought that the next guy I date will have to workout with me early in the relationship so we can strip away the b.s. from go.

Anyway, while I don't plan to make the twosome run a frequent habit, once in a while, I think it's nice. And I will say, for anyone who is just starting out - it can be a nice motivator to know that someone is waiting for you. Whether you don't want to let them down or it's great conversation potential that puts you in the mood, a buddy can be a wonderful tool.

Yours in fitness, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment