Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Too all women - Happy Mother's Day!  I say it this way, because though not everyone has human children, every woman has mothered someone. 

For example, my non-traditional heritage:

My great-grandmother had three children, but she also helped mother her grand and great-grand children, not to mention a myriad of other family members, neighbor kids and so on.

My grandmother raised three kids, helped with grand kids and kept the neighbor kids from burning anything down.  (They were likely my father's friends.  :)  )

My Aunt Marla has raised a myriad of animals and did her share of babysitting when I was a baby.

My mother raised three kids, neighbor kids, helped raised my nephew, has guided many wayward alcoholics and handled many people who just needed direction.

My step-mom raised a daughter, helped raise the three of us kids and continues to raise wayward souls who are non-directional - even lonely adults need mothering sometimes. 

I am a pet parent, helped raise my two brothers and helped raise my nephew.  And, ask anyone, I tend to mother period.

These examples are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to why women end up neglecting themselves.  Even if we never have babies we are busy caring for the world.  Everyone needs nurtured and there is something in us that must respond.  While commendable, we need to remember to be there for ourselves as well.

So, Happy Mother's Day, but don't forget to mother yourself too.

Yours in Health,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment