Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stress + Workout = Return of humor

It was a rough day.  From the moment I walked in the door I was on the go - put out a fire here, cover for somebody there.  I realized just a half hour before my physical therapy appointment, there was no way I could make it.  I called, apologized profusely and they were able to fit me in early tomorrow morning.  No complaints here though, I appreciate that they even found a slot.

At lunch time I wanted total junk and I said aloud, "What I really want is to call Sarpino's and land face first in a calzone."  My friend Mary responded, "But you won't."  My response, "No, I won't, I just had to say it.  I will sit here and crunch my carrots instead."  And it's true, sometimes you just have to say it, to be able to wipe it from your mind.

By the time 3 p.m. rolled around, I was crisp.  I wasn't being pleasant or easy-going, I needed a break.  So, despite being tired and cranky, I drove to the Mercy/YMCA Healthy Living Center and worked out.  In fact, I hit it hard in the water for an hour.  Afterward I was even more tired - but the stress was nearly washed away and that was the point.

I came back, prepped a shift, ran a meeting, did a bunch of other work and now am headed home with no need to squish a bug just to feel some kind of control.  Workouts make Kate much friendlier. ;)  We all know it works this way, but today was a good reminder.

Yours in Health,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment