Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dance, Dance, Dance

I forgot my workout shoes yesterday. It was blustery and cold and when I headed home to get them, the wind swept up my skirt and reminded me I live in Iowa. So I wimped and headed home.

Lest you think the lack of a gym stopped me from getting physical, you are mistaken. I went home and danced. That's right - I threw on a favorite jazz CD that features bands from the 30's and 40's and move to it.

When the slower songs came on, I hit the mat and did abs and push-ups. Or I did squats, standing lunges and a band for my arms. (I found out I need a new one, because my strength has increased so much since I bought it 8 months ago that it was a bit of a joke.)

But for at least 30 minutes, on and off, just like being at a real dance - I wiggled to the beat. It was a great reminder of just how fun letting go can be and how good for you.

If you are lost when it comes to dancing, there is an event Saturday that might help. It's called "Dance for Your Heart", it's being put on by Iowa Health. It helps kick-off heart month and not only can you learn to dance everything from hip-hop to ballroom, but they have FREE health screenings from diabetes to BMI.

So, if you haven't picked an exercise that fits you yet, maybe dancing is your thing. I think it will be mine more often.

Yours in fitness, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment