Friday, January 11, 2008

New Year's Resolutions (Better late than, well nevermind..)

Be it resolved, I Kate Garner will attempt the following personal feats in 2008:

Continue my healthy lifestyle: Eat right. Exercise. Sounds basic, but a continuing resolution is important. I have lost weight before (not this much) and gained it back and it brought friends. While I have no intention of EVER going back, putting it in writing makes me accountable.

Tone and lean my body: Find the final excess fat on my body and "terminate" it. Add on lean muscle. Sculpt my butt and thighs. Solidify the athletic build I have wanted since long before I ever started this.

Find a way through the excess skin: I do not have nearly the problem that people who have gastric bypass surgery have. They lose their weight so fast, the skin can't keep up at all. Mine has to quite an extent, because I lost my weight naturally and a pound or two a week. But or should I say butt, my behind has sags, as do my belly, thighs and hips. The biggest problem is my belly. I would be two pants sizes smaller, if the extra skin wasn't there. I am doing research, but if anyone knows a magical cream to shrink it, let me know.

Be me: The last six months I have had several people imply I have changed. They don't mean my weight, they mean my fundamental personality. I have discussed this with several of my close friends, especially the person who sees me most - Lori. While I have become more confident in the way I look, I have not had some great persona make-over. In fact, as Lori pointed out - if there had been a major change for the negative, she'd be the first to notice and she'd let me know I should knock it off. In a post sometime this week, I will explain why we believe this is the case. In the mean time, I vow to be my same sassy, sometimes pain in the butt (though I try to do it with humor), upbeat and fun self.

Spend more time with Caelen: My 4 year old nephew is the light of my life. For three years of his life, he was the center of mine. Since August a lot has changed. He has a new step-mom, goes to pre-school and daycare full-time and I have a job outside of my home. All of that added up to it being all too easy for me to ignore my true love. No more, my sweetie and I will be going on many dates this year. Yesterday it was the Playhouse and ice cream (o.k., gelato at Stam's). Next week, it's a sleepover. Until he goes to kindergarten this fall, I am going to do my best to make this a weekly thing. Though I will be reasonable, he's quite in demand. ;)

Be more involved: My mom will be disheartened by that resolution. She was just telling me the other day that I do too much. I don't feel like I do enough or give enough. This year I will pick two charities to concentrate on and then give my remaining time as available and needed. It's just as important to feed my soul as my body.

Read more and learn more: I do not take time to sit down with books anymore. That is sad for my mental health. While I know I learn something new everyday, I am the news director, I do not get much of a chance to go behind the headline or follow a subject past a feature. This year I will do my best to correct that.

Get better at my job: I sometimes come off as a know-it-all and have a 'been there, done that' attitude. While I certainly need to work on that for interpersonal reasons, I need to reduce use of that egocentric crap at work as well. Beyond that, I need to work on my time management and writing skills.

Find excuses to be outdoors, preferably involving fitness: Lori and I have threatened to take up hiking, bike bikes and I want inline skates. I vow that one of those things WILL happen. Other possible follow through options include ice skating with Caelen and snowboarding with Annette - I like both ideas.

Travel more in Iowa and get to know my state: I can tell you our major towns and cities and probably how to get there. I may even be able to make a couple of recommendations for when you arrive. But the in between, nope, don't know much. So this year I want to take mini weekend outings and remedy that.

Use real note cards and fewer e-cards: I love getting "good" mail, I know others do too. Besides, we need to keep our hard working friends in the postal services employed.

Dang. Just looked back over that. I am going to be a busy bunny. :) Just like I like it.

Yours in health, Kate

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading the WW 100+ pounds to lose board since I started and loose skin is a hot topic. Time may help a little, but plastic surgery is the only way to get rid of it. I sometimes think I'll get a ton of it, even though I'm pretty fortunate and don't have too much loose skin. But I'm pretty sure a tummy tuck is in my future. And I figure since I'm already under the knife, I may as well just take care of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better you than me. ;) I am a wimp when it comes to pain. So I am going to look for a magic cream.

    ReplyDelete