Monday, January 21, 2008

From the beginning...

I promised I would make Mondays about what I did to start my weight loss journey, so here you go:

Tip: Start with the right equipment, so you don't end up injured.

When I started this latest (and final) attempt at getting healthy, I had a pair of running shoes that I had bought about a year before. I was convinced that, because I had just been wearing them for everyday use and not working out, that I could make use of them to exercise. I was wrong.

What I didn't take into account was that I weighed 260 pounds and that was more than enough pressure on the soles to break them. With broken soles and crushed arches, no shoe in the world is going to be comfortable to walk in. But that didn't stop me. I tried to go ahead and use them.

I stubbornly held out almost a month. I must have really wanted to lose the weight this time, because my back hurting and shins being sore once would have put me on the "injured" list and I would have quit to "recuperate" and have never gone back.

Instead I woke up to the fact that if I invested in no other piece of equipment to get healthy - I would have to invest in good shoes. So I did. I now change my shoes as often as they wear out, because my back hurting actually makes me even more cranky than it did then. (I miss working out.)

So (yes, I have to say it) put your best foot forward and the path on the journey to fitness will be much smoother.

Yours in fitness, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment