Saturday, January 19, 2008

The day off

Yesterday I did it. I took a day off.

Not from working out, I met with Trainer Traci and we hit it hard. As usual she was pleased when I scrunched my face and pushed through. Just a note - I like it when she pushes me really hard. But if you are just starting out or have different goals than I do (which of course you do - you're you) then Traci or one of the other trainers at Fitness World West will tailor a workout to YOU.

It was after I was with Traci that my 'day off' began - with food. Everyone says, take a day off now and then or you will go crazy. Up to this point I have been nervous at the concept. I have a bad history with food and was afraid I would run amok and not be able to reboot today. I am pleased to say, I was wrong.

I had my nephew starting at noon yesterday. We went to lunch at Biaggi's and I had mahi mahi and gnocchi. Mid afternoon we shared a cookie and a brownie at Starbuck's. Dinner brought a burger and fries (mine was chicken and low fat fries - some habits are best to keep, even on a day off). Then we wrapped my food detour with THE BEST DESSERT I HAVE HAD IN YEARS.

Smores. Simple, yes, but unbelievably wonderful. It's not because I haven't had them in the last 18 months (yes, it's been 18 months as of yesterday, that will be the subject of tomorrow's post), I have. But those were made with the ingredients we had as kids a regular Hershey's bar, Kraft marshmallows and Honey Maid graham crackers. Don't get me wrong, that's good. But if you are going to indulge, my new way is MUCH better.

I went to the Gateway market where I found extra thick graham crackers, designer milk chocolate that is a little darker than regular and smoother and homemade marshmallows from Beaverdale Confections. They were worth every calorie. One tip - if you are using the microwave, do the chocolate on the graham for about 12 seconds before you put the marshmallow on and microwave for another 5. Because the marshmallow is fresh with no preservatives, it will liquefy if you go any longer - learned that the hard way.

So, was I able to fall back into step today? Yes, because I am no longer that person. I am capable of making reasonable choices and controlling my food, though sometimes I still struggle - I'm human.

Food today - Kashi cereal with skim milk, a clementine, potato/red pepper/chicken soup with a piece of bread, coffee with skim milk and a drizzle of half & half, a banana, some popcorn, almonds, carrots, shrimp stir-fry (homemade with very little oil and TONS of veggies). Yep, back on the horse.

So, what have I learned? A day off doesn't have to derail a lifetime of proper eating. That's good to know if you are just starting out as well, if you 'cheat', it doesn't mean you are doomed, it just means you need to reboot and get back on track.

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment