Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007 - The retrospective

The good and bad, warts and all. WARNING: This will be VERY random.

The year started with my weight at 213, I am now at 151. I'm not sure exactly what size that made me, probably a 22. Now I am a 12, working my way to a ten. That's 62 pounds and 6+ sizes gone. These are the things I lost in 2007 I do not want back. In fact, they are the things I will never allow to come back. I am resolved.

My mom had cancer, then emergency gall bladder surgery. She has come through amazingly and I am grateful.

I picked up better eating habits. I now workout often and with much pleasure.

My step-father was diagnosed as diabetic. But he is learning better habits and is now working out. So, there is a silver lining.

I spent the first 8 months of the year caring for Caelen full-time and working at the radio group part-time. As he got older we stopped fighting each other so much. We are so much alike we know what buttons to push. But I think we both got more mature as the year progressed. In August he went to pre-school full-time and I went to work full-time. While there were stressful days involved in trying to keep a busy and brilliant (then) 3 year old occupied, I wouldn't trade a single moment. I miss him and our time, daily.

I fell for a guy. Something I never saw coming. It was one sided, as usual. It's a habit I just can't seem to break.

I took on this full-time gig of being news director for the Des Moines Radio Group and co-host of the KIOA morning show. Amazingly after nearly 5 years of working in this building, I still like everyone and enjoy coming to work. I didn't really expect to love radio again, but this place made that happen.

The man who hired me and mentored me here has left. Far and away the best boss I have ever had. He was patient and blunt and diplomatic and a friend. I miss going his office and venting or just to hear a war story from his early days in the business. Jim, I miss you.

I kept my general manager, thank god. I also got a great new boss. Tim is not what you expect if you go with the wrapper. He's funny and warm and really cares. I look forward to his guidance in the new year.

I ran my first 5K and in a time I wasn't expecting - 36:19. I am not the biggest fan of running, but it helped me cut a lot of fat AND gave me a great sense of accomplishment.

I lost one of my best friends ever - Trixie. She was a big, sweet, ball of drooling love and I will miss her always.

I put my writing and photography on hold. I miss both. I believe I am probably cheating myself. I am getting lost in being busy.

I haven't been out of the state in nearly 2 years. Um, damn, that's tough to realize.

Everyone I run into tells me how good I look. Some people don't even recognize me. It feels great. And it feels ridiculous. And sad.

I have collar bones again. Yea, I know, they have always been there - but now I can find them without a map!

I know there are many things I am missing, but this is from memory.

I am happy. I have had fun this year. I have tried new things. I have met new people. It has been a good year.

Yours in health, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment